My love of Eating Well constantly has me thinking……. “How can I feed myself and my family better?”
In Defense of Food , Michael Pollan says, “Eat food , not too much, mostly plants .’
I spent some time this past month thinking about how many people were making drastic changes in their diets. All in the name of ‘New Year’s resolutions’. These drastic changes for some, may help to save their lives. I do believe that drastic measures are necessary for most people in our society. But for many, these changes in nourishment may make people feel as if they are missing out on foods that they love. Yes…. LOVE!!! (Red dye # 47 is NOT love!!!!)
Food is a basic need, calories are necessary to continue to run our human machine. It is the choice of the QUALITY of the calories, where most people start to have problems. When we are raised, the foods that we are given as a child, are usually the foods that we crave for nourishment and love as adults. Yes, the foods that you are sharing with your children are the foods that they will continue to eat throughout their lives. These are the foods that they will remember from their childhood as LOVE.
- So how do you think you are doing?
- Do you think that you may want to add some high QUALITY foods into your and their diet?
- Or do you want them to try to unlearn poor food choices later in life, like you are?
When you try to make a change in your diet, the most lasting and profound changes are made slowly. Instead of taking bad stuff out of your diet, add good things (like organic produce) into your diet. This creates a nutrient dense substitute. Therefore your body may not crave the other not so good food-like substances.
Or try to drink a large glass of pure water. Sometimes your hunger cues are really your body telling you that it is thirsty.
Back to my quest to try to NOURISH my family BETTER. I like to think that we have an amazing diet. But my thoughts were how to do BETTER. So I decided to take one of the days of the week, and make it a primarily RAW DAY!!! Yummy…… So Thursdays are our raw day.I have been having a lot of fun with this one. And my favorite kitchen gadget for raw Thursdays is my Spiralizer. I would like to share a salad that I had down in Key West, Florida at a wonderful whole food cafe called Help Yourself. This is my rendition. ENJOY!!!
Vital Salad- Dr. C Style
- 2-3 Spiral cut zucchini
- 2 carrots peeled like long linguine noodles
- 1 cucumber seeded, peeled & chopped
- 1 tree of broccoli chopped, include the soft part of the stem
- 1 tsp sesame seeds
- They added onions…. I took them out!…. & played with them!
- (Toss all of the veggies together then add the dressing. Serve immediately with curry cashews.)
Dressing for the veggies
- Olive oil- 1/4 (ish) C.
- soy sauce 1-2 tsp (ish)
- toasted sesame oil – just a few dashes
- fresh grated ginger root
- and just a bit of honey
- (Mix together with a whisk. Season to your taste. Wherever I say, “ish” it means that I don’t measure, but guess.)
- butter 2 Tbs.
- Curry powder- 4 tsp.
- Himalayan salt- 1 tsp.
- Cayenne pepper- 1/4 tsp.
- Cashews- 2 c. roasted
- scant 1/4 tsp. coconut sugar
- (Melt and mix until you smell the aromatics. Add nuts, cover with the spice butter. Place in preheated 350′ oven on a flat cookie sheet for 10 min. …….cool.)