This is a breathwork technique that I learned a few years ago. I pretty much do this daily. I find that it is a great way to prepare for meditation, increase energy & pretty much just get your awesome on. The man who taught it used it as an immunity builder, but I feel this simple technique is an AWESOME MAKER!
“Every breath is a sacrament, an affirmation of our connection with all other living things, a renewal of our link with our ancestors and a contribution to generations yet to come. Our breath is a part of life’s breath, the ocean of air that envelopes the earth.” ― David Suzuki
- Sit in a comfortable position.
- Take 13 very deep and slow breaths.
- Next start a strong striking breath out of your mouth. Do this 60 times. You should hear a loud shhhhhhh sound and feel your intercostal muscles (Muscles between your ribs) strongly contract together. You may notice that when starting this you become fatigued before 60… So do less and work your way up. (This is not a competitive sport… Go easy)
- After the 60th breath take one deep breath in. Retract your chin and bring it to your chest. Hold your breath for as long as you can….. Then breathe.
- Start another set of 60 breaths. But this time do them through your nose. After the 60th breath again take a deep breath in, hold it, retract your chin (Pull your chin straight back toward your neck) and bring it down to your chest. Hold that breath as long as you can. I find that at this point my ability to hold my breath is pretty crazy long.
- Do one more cycle of 60 breaths through your mouth with the retained breath at the end.
- Next do 108 breaths through your nose. At the end retain it as above….. After you feel the need to breath again…. Do that 🙂
- Sit quietly in a mindful way. Clear in thought & open to your inner wisdom. You have just ignited you brain and oxygenated your body in a very profound manner.
Love & Fresh Air, Dr. C